Monday, November 7, 2011

How do you make your life better and have fun at the same time?


We all like fun. We all (in theory) want to live better. And since guilty pleasures can get in the way of more constructive habits, I believe that it’s important to find activities that are both productive and enjoyable. Perhaps you have a particular affinity for working a garden, fixing a car, or cleaning. If so, that is terrific, but others (like me) may have to think a bit more creatively to find constructive hobbies.

These are some items that I would consider constructive hobbies for me:

Reading
My most consistent constructive hobby, I spend at least a few hours a week reading books. I find that reading is one of the best ways to expose myself to new ideas and attempt to broaden my horizons. At the same time, it is very entertaining for me.

Running
I know running is not fun to a lot of people. And I can admit—if physical activity wasn’t also really good for me and in the best interest of my long-term physical, emotional, and financial well-being, I probably wouldn’t be as excited to partake. But it is, so running provides not only an excellent opportunity to keep my body in shape, it also is a good time to think critically or to re-charge emotionally.

TED Talks
I occasionally watch these online lectures, which are short (18 minutes or less) but very powerful. The topics include virtually anything in the worlds of technology, entertainment, or design, and the talks are branded as “ideas worth spreading”. These powerful talks can be educational, thought-provoking, inspirational, or all of the above. To read more, click here.

Do you have any constructive hobbies? If so, please share, because I am always looking for more!

1 comment:

  1. Does homework count? I guess working out and homework. I feel like those are the only even remotely constructive things I do with school.

    ReplyDelete