Thursday, October 27, 2011

Guilty Pleasures


We all have hobbies that might be classified as “guilty pleasures”. They are activities that are not necessarily bad, but in excess they may serve as distractions.

Distractions can be a good thing. They allow us an escape from the real world, if only for a short duration. They can also be a bad thing—a force to pull us away from challenges that need to be faced, tasks that demand attention, or conversations that need to be had.

These are some of my guilty pleasures and how/when they manifest:

American College Football
With the wife in grad school, I am able to watch as much as ever on the weekends. And it’s particular exciting these days because my favorite team, the Oklahoma State Cowboys, is off to a fantastic start. And since this is mainly a weekend thing, I am able to remain focused on more important things during the week.

Fantasy Football
I am an obsessive fantasy football player. I am in three leagues and spend hours preparing before the season starts. Now that the season has begun, I generally give it a few minutes each day to check news and read analysis for the next weekend’s games.

Sporcle.com
As I have always enjoyed trivia about most any topic, I find Sporcle.com to be one of the most fun (and relatively edifying) ways to occasionally spend a couple of minutes in the evening. This timed quiz site makes even the blandest of topics entertaining.

What are your own personal guilty pleasures? How do you keep them from taking over your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment