Monday, October 17, 2011

Affirming Others

Paying someone a genuine compliment costs you next to nothing, yet it can truly make the day of the person on the receiving end of your compliment. There is perhaps no other way to greatly bless someone else at such a minimal cost.

Over the past year, I have made a conscious decision to affirm other people in my life on a consistent and systematic basis. It has cost me very little in the way of time or personal comfort, but in many cases it has been of tremendous benefit to people in my life. No matter how confident or secure we are, all of us can benefit from a sincere compliment.

There are three primary ways that I recommend doing this, and circumstances will usually dictate which is the most appropriate.

1) In-person – When you can give a compliment in person, it can be a tremendous blessing because of the face-to-face connection involved in the exchange. However, it is often difficult to time and can be awkward. It is perhaps most appropriate for times when you are affirming someone in front of their peers.

2) Electronically – One of the simplest ways to affirm someone is through e-mail, text message, or social networking. While not as warm as an in-person exchange, it is convenient for you and for the receiver.

3) Hand-written note – In my opinion, in the digital age this combines the best aspects of the in-person and the electronic. It has a personal touch, minimizes the timing issue, and provides the receiver with a tangible keepsake (if they are the sentimental type).

Tell me about a time where someone paid you a sincere compliment. What was it, and what did it mean to you?

1 comment:

  1. I think I should get better at this. I try to affirm electronically as often as possible. I LOVE every kind of affirmation, but I think you are right - my favorites are handwritten notes. They are just extra special. I love you and you are the best husband on the planet.

    ~Kathryn

    ReplyDelete