Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Overdoing Social Networking


If you’re anything like me, you find a lot of value in social networking. Whether it’s maintaining current relationships, rekindling old ones, or simply creeping on others, social networking is one of the most powerful and addicting mediums in our world today.

So how do we maintain a balance? It is a medium to which we can become enslaved. I realized I was in a little too deep recently, so I set some rules for myself:

1)      Hide or unfollow anyone who pollutes your feed with excessive negativity, distracting photos, or otherwise unedifying material.
2)      Only post things that edify others. Unless you are really famous, most people don’t care what you had for dinner or when you went to the gym.
3)      Only login on the computer occasionally. I have found that checking social media sites while on the computer can quickly devolve into a major time-waster if you don’t have a plan.
4)      Designate certain times of the day to check in on a mobile device (if you have one). This keeps you from checking it every hour every 15 minutes throughout the day.

These general guidelines have helped me balance my real life with social media world. While social media is a wonderful tool, it was created to enhance our lives—not to become our lives.

How do you balance your life when it comes to social media?

No comments:

Post a Comment