Monday, October 3, 2011

The Cost of Smiling

I have heard that life is approximately 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it, and I find this to be true. While we cannot always control our circumstances, we can control our responses to them.

For the past 13 years, I have sought to face most all circumstances with a smile. This decision has paid off more handsomely than I could have ever imagined. Not only does it make me less likely to dwell on the negative when something happens, it can also brighten the day of someone else. In many instances, people have approached me to tell me how much they appreciate seeing my smile.

It costs little to smile, but the cost of not smiling may be even greater. When I fail to smile, not only am I more apt to dwell on negative circumstances, I also opt out of the opportunity to bless someone else with a smile.

This is something incredibly simple, small, and nearly universal in its application.

What is a small, simple gesture that you have found to have an impact far beyond its cost to you?

4 comments:

  1. I am so thankful to have a husband who is happy and positive and facing everything with a smile. Your smile is wonderful and contagious and I love t and I love you. I am so glad you have a blog. (-: I will put a link on my blog, too. (-:

    xoxo
    ~Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA I just told my friends the story about when you smiling at me so goofy when I was getting my ID picture done and my picture turned out bad!
    good times
    love you!
    Karlie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have always set a great example in positivity, ever since I've known you. Even when you would say "That's crappy", you would always say it with a smile. I try to do 2 things that are of little cost to me. I don't always succeed, but I do try. The first is to make eye contact and say "Hello" to people that I pass, even if I'm at Wal-mart or something. The other is to try to anticipate the emotional needs of the people that I care about, such as my family, friends, and co-workers. This one is more difficult for me, but I do make an honest and conscience efffort to help people feel important to me. Congrats on the new blog! I'll be following along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments, everyone!

    ReplyDelete